Cyberinvestigation Law Enforcement Wizard (CLEW), enhances the capability of law enforcement to gather and analyze digital evidence in such cases. It is an application that can be downloaded to a portable USB thumb drive and uploaded to computers at crime scenes. Because the tool's primary users are not computer experts, its interface provides easy-to-follow steps for gathering digital evidence. The program also has triage capabilities to help law enforcement personnel determine the next step in the investigation, providing different options for collecting and analyzing digital evidence.
Developers of CLEW are focused on developing the following functions, among others:
* Perform live forensics at crime scenes prior to shutting down computers and support onsite evidence collection.
* Support investigations in handling the most common e-mail, instant messaging and social networking issues.
* Capture volatile data that would normally be lost after powering off device.
* Easily upload evidence so that data can be captured for later, more detailed analysis.
* Create a concise summary of the evidence, suggesting possible correlations.
* Analyze online social networking information as well as virtual world online applications such as Second Life.
National Institute of Justice, FBI, other law enforcement agencies